Startup programs have always resulted in slowing down the PC be it any operating system. I used Windows 8.1 for a year and switched to Windows 10 but the impact the start-up apps had on my system never changed. This is where I decided to disable them and make my PC run faster. It also improves the bootup time as well.
There are certain programs that start upon switching on your PC or laptop. Those are the programs assigned by the system itself to start from the word go. But don’t worry about them as you can easily stop them and disable them from the next boot up.
How to Disable Startup Programs
There are multiple ways to disable startup programs, and here are a few of them that I followed on my PC.
1. Disable Startup Programs using Task Manager
Here’s a simple process to stop the startup programs using the task manager on your Windows 10.
- To start with, right-click anywhere (on the blank part) on the taskbar and click on Task Manager from the list to open it.
- Now, Click on the Startup tab and it will display all the startup programs of your Windows 10 PC.
- Based on the Startup impact column (whichever is high), select one of such apps and disable it by using the Disable button on the bottom-right corner of the Task Manager.
- Repeat the same process for multiple apps that have a higher impact on your system’s startup.
2. Stop Startup Apps Using Windows 10 Settings App
This is a simple yet effective method to disable startup apps on your Windows 10 PC or laptop.
- To start with, press Windows + I keys on your keyboard or use the search box to search for Settings to open the app.
- Once done, click on the Apps option from the Settings and click on the Startup option from the left-hand sidebar.
- You’ll now see the list of apps that start on the boot-up. Simply use the Toggle Off button to disable the required startup app that has a high impact when your system starts.
3. How to Disable Startup Apps using System Configuration
This turns out to be the easiest of all methods I’ve tested so far.
- Head over to Windows search and type “msconfig” and you will see an option of System configuration.
- Click on it and then click on the Startup tab on the dialog box that opens up.
- Next, from the list of apps select any of them and click on disable to stop that particular startup program immediately on your Windows 10 PC or laptop.
These are some of the easiest ways to disable the startup programs on your Windows operating system. That said, if you’re using third-party tools like CCleaner to keep your system optimized, you can even disable startup programs from the tool itself. Yes, you heard that right!
Simply, launch the CCleaner, click on the Tools button from the left-hand side, and click on the Startup option. This will now show you the list of startup apps that are slowing down your Windows PC. Simply, click on any of the apps, and click on the Disable option to save it. Of course, if you feel that the program is not needed on your PC, you can click on the Delete option too. But make sure you’re confident enough that the deleted app won’t malfunction the entire system by any means.
While disabling the startup apps is a good thing to improve the overall bootup speed and system speed, but at times, you may miss some important notifications of those disabled startup apps that may be crucial for you. So make sure you identify such apps and you don’t disable them just because it boosts your system speed. At the end of the day, productivity matters the most but missing out on certain important notifications due to disabled startup apps can turn out to be costly. In the end, all I want to say is, disable the startup apps with utmost care!